Sunday, January 10, 2010

J Crewtification

I've completed my first refashioned clothing item, a la J Crew. After browsing many fabulous tutorials, I decided to try my own hand at adding ruffles and roses to an old tank. I started with a Banana Republic outlet cardigan I bought two springs ago - it buttons a little low, which looked alright when I initially tried it on in the store, but after a few trips in the washer and dryer the fabric shrunk and made the buttoned area tight and awkward. I decided to use pieces of the cardi to spruce up the coordinating tank, which I still like to wear.Using my rotary cutter, I cut four long strips and sewed the gathering seam. I played around with the strips a little, gathering them loosely, then tightly, to try and decide what I wanted to do with them.I decided on a right-sided placement of two ruffled strips with two gathered rosettes.
Ta-da!
I wore it this morning to church with a mohair sweater I just rediscovered in my dry-cleaning bag, complete with a felt rosette broch that I made this morning. I'll save the sweater for another day - it's a work in progress!
I'm having so much fun with this!

No comments: