Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What began as an ordinary day...

turned out to be not-so-ordinary.

Where you see standing water is the street I take to my daughters' school every weekday - and this is the aftermath!  I left the house around 7:15 this morning - it was sprinkling a little at the house and overcast, and there was a roll of thunder in the background.  I assumed it was last night's storm heading out of town.  A few miles down the road though, it became evident that this storm was still very much upon us.  As I approached the light before this underpass, I could barely see out of my windshield from the torrential rains, and I quickly turned when I realized the underpass had become a raging river from the runoff.  I drove through the flooded street to a nearby parking lot to wait it out.

Yeah, that was not going to happen.

I sent a text to my boss to let her know what was going on, and I proceeded to head home with the girls.  This was not as easy as I thought it would be.  The road to my home was overcome with water, so much that I couldn't pass.  I parked at a gas station, determined to make it home once the rain died down.  Next thing I know, I'm on the phone with my husband and all around me, where there was no water before, there was now at least 6-8 inch deep water.  In the distance, I could see a rush of water headed our way... so I quickly drove to another gas station at the top of the hill.  Crazy. 

The rain slowed, and the weather was appearing to clear up a little, so I once again tried to get back home.  My main route was completely flooded, so I decided to take the back way home.  I turned down a street covered with water, but the truck in front of me seemed to not have any problem, so I followed him.  All of a sudden, heavy walls of rain began beating on my car, I felt something pushing against the vehicle, but just kept going.  Then the hail started falling.

I was spooked.

Then, just as soon as the downpour began, it stopped... and I kept driving, amazed at the next sights I saw.  Debris everywhere, trees snapped like toothpicks, metal buildings mangled.

I would learn later that I was probably right on the outskirts of a tornado.


Eventually, the rains moved on and the wind was so still you could hear the helicopters flying above, chainsaws buzzing, and the sound of emergency vehicle sirens.  After almost five hours, I made it home safely.  We are so blessed and grateful that our home was not damaged.  We did, however, lose part of a fence and some of our favorite trees.

I can't complain though, as painful as it was to see.  I know there are others who are left without anything right now.

And their day began as an ordinary day too.


Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you and the girls are ok. That is so scary.

admin said...

wow, that was a day you won't forget. Very scary.