Monday, June 21, 2010

Keeping up with the Bloggers

Do you spend your mornings like this?  I get up about 5:15am, after battling with the snooze button since the alarm first went off at 5.  I stumble to the coffee pot, pour a bowl of cereal, turn on Robin Meade, and open up the laptop to read about all of the wonderful things everyone else has been doing.

Tutorials!

New designs!

Homemade cherry cobbler!

New pattern drafted!

Teacher gifts I just whipped up last night!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I've got tutorial plans written in my idea book, waiting to come to fruition.  I made cookies yesterday, from Nestle pre-cut cookie dough.  I took the kids to McDonald's cause an unexpected detour on the way home from work didn't allow time to make dinner.  My sewing machine sits and waits... along with my fabric stash... and I need to get ready for work.

I'm amazed by the creativity. 

I'm adding tutorials to my list of things to make.

I'm wowed by the incredible organizational skills.

And I'm envious.  Of people I don't even know!  Isn't that crazy?  Almost instantly I get into this "woe is me" state of mind, wishing I had all this time that seemingly everyone else has to accomplish all of these fabulous things, wishing I was able to sleep in and not be a slave to an alarm clock, wishing my "job" was staying at home, raising kids, and blogging to an audience of 5000 followers.

Is this really what blogging is supposed to be about?  I started blogging as a way to chronicle my life when I was away from friends and family... and while I still do that somewhat, the focus has changed.  It's not so much anymore about chronicling life as it happens, but rather making life happen in the form of a post.  It's about linking and commenting and following, when it should just be about... blogging.  Weblogging.  Writing.

Life.

You know, the thing that's happening around me as I'm huddled over a laptop, reading through my browser.  The life that started this whole blogging adventure.

My gorgeous man.

My sweet little chickies.

And, yeah, my suzy-homemaker domestic side.

The life that gives me a good swift kick in the arse when I'm feeling like everyone else has it so much easier and better.

So while I may not be whipping up a new project every day, wowing you with the way I juggle everything, or making everything from scratch, I can promise you this:

I will be living, and enjoying the blessings bestowed upon me.  I will be creating, but sometimes with two little girls and some playdough rather than a new project.  I will be trying to impress the people that matter most rather than the people that comment the most.  I'll be telling our story, not creating a story to tell.

And I'll be eating cookie dough, straight from the package.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

And I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Beth Anne said...

I feel this same way ALL the time!

I have so many projects I want to do and progress I want to make with my blog, but by the time there's free time, it just seems like there are more important things to be doing.